Written by Critical Mass
The old maltings, built around 1870 and destroyed by German bombs in 1940, had stood opposite a pea canning factory which after it burned down was replaced by the now empty Linpac factory.
Re-building began in 1949, the site was on the industrial edge of the town, beside the railway station and its coalyard.
Owners Gilstrap Earp, part of Associated British Maltsters hired contractor Mitchells of Grimsby to build the American design, a maltings like none seen in Europe before let alone Louth.The barley and malt store is 120ft high, the interior is an extraordinary honeycomb of 96 eight foot square, 90ft high storage chambers used for barley and malt. More silos were added in 1972 and computerisation was introduced in the 1980′s, ending the night shift. If there was a problem an alarm rang in the Manchester office which called out a local man to attend to it.
Dalgety’s had taken over ABM in 1972 but Paul’s Malt became the new owners in 1987. Their plans to expand production by building three huge new silos were refused in 1989 by East Lindsey District Council and on appeal, following bitter opposition from the Civic Trust and conservation minded councillors.
Louth was producing 30,000 tonnes a year. In the late 1990s Paul’s invested 30m in a new plant at Bury St Edmunds which increased introduction by 100,000 tonnes.
Louth’s fate was sealed.
Very promising outside, but was pouring with rain so didn’t access the roof bits and it was also really dark inside
Thanks for looking Gaz!!