The Mother of all Power Plants

Author CmdrCord - Last updated: 30.04.2013

This giant lignite fired power plant was built in the sixties. At its height in the eighties, it was the largest lignite fired plant in Europe, producing some 3500 Megawatts.
To give you an impression of the size of this monster, the combined turbine hall of the two oldest works, which are now abandoned, is approximately 650 yards long.
Next to the abandoned part, there are two new units which are still live.
We wandered around there for a few hours and were just overwhelmed by its size.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

2 comments

#1oldskoolMay 2, 2013, 1:38 pm

cool shots man

Add your comment

Nickname:
E-mail:
Website:
Comment:

Other articlesgo to homepage

Plastic factory

Plastic factory(0)

Nothing special, but there are a few nice corners:

HF B

HF B(0)

May 2013, visited with LarzzA very hot early summer’s day; somewhere in the industrial depths of Belgium. The furnace towers above us as we stake out the gate and notice way too much activity! This won’t be an easy task… We decide to check the back o…

Small waterwork

Small waterwork(0)

A small nice waterwork

Rudersdof Chemiewerks

Rudersdof Chemiewerks(0)

The abandoned chemical factory of Rüdersdorf (actually in Tasdorf) was once part of VEB Chemiewerk Coswig, responsible mainly for the production of the animal feed Rükana and other phosphates used for farming.
It started life in 1899 as a cement factory operated by C.O.Wegener, which allegedly made the cement in “an ultra-modern yet highly dangerous” kiln oven. The huge Preußag concern (now the TUI travel agent) took over in 1939, producing bauxite vital for the Nazis’ war effort from 1944.
The Russians dismantled the plant after the war, but it found a new lease of life in 1950 when the VEB Glühphosphatwerk Rüdersdorf was formed to make the afore-mentioned phosphates. Two more kilns were added in 1972, and the factory came under control of the Piesteritz-based VEB Kombinat Agrochemie (agrochemicals) at the end of the 1970s.
German reunification spelled the end for VEB Chemiewerk Coswig, however, as it did for so many East German enterprises, with dwindling sales and dodgy dealings from investors preceding the inevitable. The factory made its last pig’s dinner before the gates were permanently closed in 1999.
Not much in the way of detail inside any of the buildings but externally it was pretty cool and the sunset helped.

#1
Image

#2
Image

#3
Image

#4
Image

#5
Image

#6
Image

Presswerk

Presswerk(0)

Presswerk Revisit

read more

Advertisement



Locations

Plastic factory Plastic factory(0)
Kindergarten Kindergarten(0)
Trenton Psychiatric Trenton Psychiatric(0)
Polandia Hospitalarium Polandia Hospitalarium(0)
The chair hotel The chair hotel(0)
read more

Interesting?

Find Us on Facebook

Talk Urbex for iPhone

banner

Contacts and information

Talk Urbex is a community of photographers and urban explorers. We are documenting abandoned, historically important locations across the world. Talk Urbex is not responsible for any legal issues arising from either locations or digital/film imaging.

Social networks

Most popular categories

© 2012 Talkurbex.com - All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Google+