Power Plant Mega – Germany, May 2013

Author Urbanpixels - Last updated: 11.06.2013

This power station has been supplied with some steroids at some point, it’s one of Germany’s "Mega" power stations with the main turbine hall consisting of 14 turbines producing a peak power of 3520mw. I’m certainly glad i visited here and was worth the 1200miles driven.

Visited with CmdrCord

When all 5 operating blocks were running this fired power plant was the largest in Europe with 15 cooling towers. 3 of the halls/blocks are still running as the new areas of the site are still live however the part we were here to see is the decommissioned block housing the 14 turbines.

The shear length of the turbine hall is something that needs to be seen, it spans across 2 buildings and has a length of 600metres and takes a good 10-15 minutes to walk from end to end without stopping.

The plant is slowly been taken apart, 3 of the chimneys at the site have been demolished (the last in 2012) along with the Ash removal and flues, the massive turbine hall remains albeit with less machinery inside.

A bit of history and info:

The plant was originally built in the 1960′s and was the GDR’s 2nd most powerful plant (only bettered by nuclear power) There have been a number of accidents at the power station one of which resulted in an explosion inside one of the turbines in 1987. Part of the 22m high roof collapsed in the resulting fire which in turn took the 13 remaining turbines offline creating severe bottlenecks in the supply of electricity to the GDR.

The plant is Lignite/Brown Coal fired (not hard coal) which is a form of coal which is just below the surface and does not need to be mined as extensively as normal "hard" coal. Lignite is considered the lowest grade of coal and because of this it’s not efficient to transport and trade as much as normal coal therefore the power plants that use Lignite are often built on the site of the lignite mining process.

In 2012 a study concluded that this power station was one of the top 10 most "dirty" power plants in the world.

Germany is one of the highest users of Lignite along with the highest stocks of any other country.

Some pictures:

Image

Image

There were 4 of these control rooms, each controlling a different set of turbines.

Image

Image

Most of the turbines have been dismantled or are in the process.

Image

Image

One of the intact turbines.

Image

From one of the 3 remaining cranes you can see the shear size of the place.

Image

Image

Conveyor system which fed lignite to the boilers

Image

Turbines and the covers removed for scrap/recycling.

Image

Inside the boiler buildings.

Thanks for looking

1 comment

Add your comment

Nickname:
E-mail:
Website:
Comment:

Other articlesgo to homepage

HF B

HF B(0)

May 2013, visited with LarzzA very hot early summer’s day; somewhere in the industrial depths of Belgium. The furnace towers above us as we stake out the gate and notice way too much activity! This won’t be an easy task… We decide to check the back o…

Small waterwork

Small waterwork(0)

A small nice waterwork

Rudersdof Chemiewerks

Rudersdof Chemiewerks(0)

The abandoned chemical factory of Rüdersdorf (actually in Tasdorf) was once part of VEB Chemiewerk Coswig, responsible mainly for the production of the animal feed Rükana and other phosphates used for farming.
It started life in 1899 as a cement factory operated by C.O.Wegener, which allegedly made the cement in “an ultra-modern yet highly dangerous” kiln oven. The huge Preußag concern (now the TUI travel agent) took over in 1939, producing bauxite vital for the Nazis’ war effort from 1944.
The Russians dismantled the plant after the war, but it found a new lease of life in 1950 when the VEB Glühphosphatwerk Rüdersdorf was formed to make the afore-mentioned phosphates. Two more kilns were added in 1972, and the factory came under control of the Piesteritz-based VEB Kombinat Agrochemie (agrochemicals) at the end of the 1970s.
German reunification spelled the end for VEB Chemiewerk Coswig, however, as it did for so many East German enterprises, with dwindling sales and dodgy dealings from investors preceding the inevitable. The factory made its last pig’s dinner before the gates were permanently closed in 1999.
Not much in the way of detail inside any of the buildings but externally it was pretty cool and the sunset helped.

#1
Image

#2
Image

#3
Image

#4
Image

#5
Image

#6
Image

Presswerk

Presswerk(0)

Presswerk Revisit

[BEL] Ché to the rat

[BEL] Ché to the rat(0)

One classical urbex place which won’t be missed – Cheratte Hasard

read more

Advertisement



Locations

The chair hotel The chair hotel(0)
[BEL] Haus des Pfarrers [BEL] Haus des Pfarrers(0)
Air raid shelter K. Air raid shelter K.(0)
The green park The green park(0)
Polish Prison Polish Prison(0)
read more

Interesting?

Find Us on Facebook

Talk Urbex for iPhone

banner

Contacts and information

Talk Urbex is a community of photographers and urban explorers. We are documenting abandoned, historically important locations across the world. Talk Urbex is not responsible for any legal issues arising from either locations or digital/film imaging.

Social networks

Most popular categories

© 2012 Talkurbex.com - All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Google+