This was a great adventure with a group of urbexing friends! Could have spent hours in here taking pictures, even if most of the place was fairly ransacked for any metal.
Peterborough District Hospital in the United Kingdom was the acute general district hospital serving the city of Peterborough and north Cambridgeshire, areas of east Northamptonshire and Rutland. Located on Thorpe Road and West Town, it was decommissioned in 2010, with services transferring to the new Peterborough City Hospital.
The War Memorial Hospital, which opened on Midland Road in 1928, was transferred to the National Health Service in 1948, coming under No. 12 Group (Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals Management Committee) of the East Anglian Regional Hospitals Board. Also transferred were Thorpe Hall (maternity 1943–1970), The Gables (maternity 1947–1970), the Smallpox Hospital (1884–1970), Isolation Hospital (1901–1981), and St. John’s Close (mentally ill c.1930–1971). The neo-Georgian Memorial Hospital (now the Memorial Wing) was later enlarged by the massive addition of Peterborough District Hospital, built in continuous phases between 1960 and 1968 and including, from 1970, Peterborough Maternity Unit.
Established in 1993, Peterborough Hospitals NHS Trust comprised two hospitals, Peterborough District Hospital and Edith Cavell Hospital. In 2002 Stamford and Rutland Hospital in Lincolnshire joined the trust. Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the country’s top performing NHS acute trusts and, in 2004 it became one of the first ten NHS foundation trusts in England.
A £300 million health investment plan has seen the transfer of the city’s two hospitals to a single site on the grounds of the existing Edith Cavell Hospital in Bretton Gate from 15 November 2010, by building a modern, flexible facility more suited to modern healthcare. The maternity unit also closed and moved into a new dedicated women and children’s unit within the new hospital. The name Peterborough City Hospital was chosen by public competition in 2008 and, together with the adjacent mental health unit, known as the New Gloucester Unit, now forms the Edith Cavell Healthcare Campus.
Planning permission was granted for an integrated care centre on the site of the former Fenland Wing in 2006 and the City Care Centre opened on 1 July 2009. The remainder of the site—to be known as the Hospital Quarter—is proposed for redevelopment.