Whittingham Hospital opened officially on 1st April 1873, built by bricks made on site, the source being what became to be known as the "duck pond" but referred to on maps as the "fish pond". The kiln for the manufacture of the bricks was situated, apparently, in what is known "Super’s Hill Woods", at the back of the hospital, on the road to Grimsargh. The hospital was built in four "phases", the first being St Luke’s (the Main), followed by St John’s (the Annex), then Cameron House, and lastly St Margaret’s (the New or West Annex). In addition to these ‘divisions’ there was also a Sanatorium of fourteen beds built for Infectious Diseases, which became known as Fryars’ Villa, later to become part of the accomodation for the resident staff. The hospital served the community for almost 150 years, and, in its’ day, was a virtually self sufficient community.
Visited with nickynackynoo