Château de Noisy abandoned school – Belgium

Author Andre Govia - Last updated: 04.08.2009

The official name of the castle is Chateau Miranda, it was named only later on with the name Noisy. It is a property established in the neogothic style of build. It was established in 1866 by an English architect with name Milner,unfortunately he never had the experience to see the completion of his building . he passed away too early.

The rear view of the school

The castle served in the beginning as a summer residence of the family Liedekerke de beau’s fort. In the second world war the Chateau Noisy was taken by Nazis. Then the Chateau served as accommodation for children of the Belgian road employees as a holidays hostel. Now, however, since 1991 due to a fire it has lay abandoned. from the outside the property still gives a very good impression. Unfortunately, it goes to ruin in the interior increasingly with rotting floors and decay , The elements of time are taking control of this sad chateau.

Vast complex

The main Ground floor hall

Mission – Chateau Noisy, Belgium We set off from London at 10.30PM in heavy rain to catch the 12.30AM train from Folkestone. Driving through France into Belgium the rain kept pouring. We met two other members of Mission Abandoned who had also travelled from the UK via Holland. At 4.50AM we arrived at their hotel in Denant Belgium and after freshening up and several strong coffees we let the comfort of their hotel to start our quest. Finding the abandoned Chateau Noisy. In darkness we followed the instructions from our GPS to the small town near Celles. After circling the woodland surrounding the Château, we found a suitable place to park our English registration car in a small village as not to attract attention. At approx 6.30AM we made the uphill hike through dense the woodland. On our first sighting of the chateau we became aware of the distant sound of what sounded like a quad bike. After reading about over-protective grounds man, and owner, we all looked at each other in disbelief that he could be arriving at such a time in the early hours of the morning. As the quad bike drew nearer our worst fears were confirmed. It was the gun-touting mad grounds man. We immediately dived into the grass which was not the best idea since it was only one foot high. The grounds man circled near us and around the chateau.

The entry Hall and our point of entry

To this day we still can’t believe how he did not see the five of us. Once he left, we made our dash across the open grounds to the front entrance. This was locked. Then we spotted a broken door and ran like rats inside. Upon entering the Chateau it was beginning to get light and we caught our first glimpse of the splendour of this 18 century castle. The smell of decay was evident. Nobody spoke for five minutes as we found a place to hide until it was light enough to begin our exploration. The floor boards on nearly the entire upper floors were missing and there was obviously a high level of danger. So we navigated our way around carefully taking as many photos as possible. The ornate ceilings were breathtaking and yet tinged with sadness.

Girls bathroom and wash area

You can only imagine how beautiful this all once looked. Everywhere you looked the detail and love that had once gone into the design of this building was so very evident. You can only ask yourself one question. How could such a beautiful, even fairytale like, castle become so lost and derelict. The rows of sinks and classroom furniture were all that was left of the former school. A school for the railway men’s children.

This place is like a dream or a harry potter set

Upper room

Upon further investigation, the kitchens were surprisingly still intact. We all split up so we could cover all the Chateau including the clock tower to which the views were breathtaking. As the winds bellowed through the many broken windows we could hear shot gun fire from outside. The hunters were shooting in the Woodlands.

South side of the building

One of the classrooms

We realised that it was time to leave this very special place to which we could have easily spent many more hours.

One of the Bathrooms

Upper hallway

Andre govia

55 comments

#1Frits VrielinkAugust 6, 2009, 4:32 pm

Nice one Andre!

Good story, nice to read!

Been there myself 3 times now, and I never got bored overthere.

Grtz,

#2RJNovember 22, 2009, 5:11 pm

Any one know where I can find a set of blueprints for the Chateau?

#3Alexandra LaroeJanuary 22, 2010, 9:02 pm

Very interesting history. And, very good photoes. thank you.
Alexandra

#4WisteriaApril 5, 2010, 5:12 am

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see what looks like the original blue prints. They are in Dutch I think which I can’t read. Would love it if someone could print them, edit them for English and email me the scanned copy.

BTW, those are the original pictures of the castle!

Wisteria

#5LynneDecember 3, 2011, 10:11 pm

The plans are in French and I could easily translate for you if I could read them more clearly. Most I can see, so ask if you wish.
    Lynne

#6gregNovember 9, 2010, 8:03 pm

Magnifique galerie, j’adore !

#7cashboy82November 15, 2010, 10:41 pm

Hellow to all.. collega exploraters
Could someone maybe tell me the coordinates for this magnifique building
Cause I cant’t wait to visit this building

thnx and greetsz

#8cashboy82November 15, 2010, 10:42 pm

ps my email is ruigekunst@msn.com

seeya

#9gregNovember 27, 2010, 11:55 pm

Vos photos sont magnifiques, j’adore l’atmosphère de Noisy dans votre objectif !

#10AndrewFebruary 14, 2011, 3:25 am

@Wisteria, if you have Google chrome as your web browser, you can go to that page and have it automatically translated with your permission. Good luck!

#11DebbieApril 18, 2011, 12:29 am

thank you for sharing your pictures!

#12AnnmariegeeMay 12, 2011, 11:52 pm

This is a beautiful place. Unfortunately that it was a school and not a private resident or a grand hotel. I pray that someone who loves this kind of architecture and can afford it or even the historic trust would restore it to its beauty!

#13june clayAugust 16, 2011, 12:46 pm

I love history and for sure arcitecture from all over the world what we see is the love and feelings of individules that present a portion of their minds and hearts

#14Maša KoresAugust 31, 2011, 9:51 am

OMFG I LOVEEEEEE IT!

#15SusanOctober 16, 2011, 7:30 pm

With all who love Chateau Miranda(noisy) and would like to see it restored, is there now one in that part of the country who could help. I have read that the owner also owns chateau veves, and actualy stipped the floors and parts of Miranda for Veves. You can see Veves from one of the windows at Miranda. From what I have seen on the net Veves is more of a midevel chateau. I read that Mirandas owner wants in excess of 20 million to let someone restore the chateau and then he may not sell it to the money person. I don’t know if that is true or not. What I know of Chateau Miranda is what I have found on the internet. I can’t seem to get enough of that place . It would be a spectacular sight if resotred !!!!! Some one out ther should be able to do something I would hope. I am in the U.S. and have never been there, but would love to see it though. I am not a youngster anymore and don’t have the funds to get there right now. So I explore through the internet. I have found that Chateau Miranda(Noisy) is the most facinating and oh so beautiful. If anyone who reads this and can help the chateu PLEASE do. What a waist if it falls into nothingness.
We all hope there is an angel out there that will do something.

#16LectrotraxxNovember 15, 2011, 12:16 pm

Very nice pictures here. we are planning to go ther some time. an other great spot is in Doel Belgium near the nuclear power plants. a whole Urbex Town there.

#17Twin JalanugrahaJanuary 14, 2012, 7:17 am

Thank you very much for sharing this with us.

#18JodyFebruary 26, 2012, 5:16 pm

My French girlfriend and I visited the place back in 90. Indeed the ongoing theme, to both of us was..sadness…It’s a shame to see such majestic grandeur fall to such ruinfull neglect. We..did try to bring a little life to this forlorn abode…I’ll just modestly,with a bit of humility, say that my girlfriend and I now nestalically call the place Chanteau LaBLOW…! And, I’ll leave the rest to your macinations…Ha-Ha-Ha…

#19mimiApril 13, 2012, 5:13 pm

nice!! well done!

#20Lord NedMay 2, 2012, 12:31 am

Could any boby knowing how to get in contact with the owner of this old chateau Noisey please direct them to my email or reply to this request as this building is deserving of attention. Lord Ned. Sovereign Military Order of the Knights Templar Tasmania.

#21ChiXJune 25, 2012, 2:39 pm

I would love to explore tis chateau tomorrow, can anybody tell me the location? my email: denise.van.vroenhoven@live.nl

Thanks!

#22LaurenceAugust 3, 2012, 2:05 am

Why doesn’t some church or convent buy this place and restore it? Or some european billionaire? what a shame to let such a splendid building fall in ruin! If the building is of stone construction then it is still in good condition. Let us pray for restoration….

#23sophos9August 3, 2012, 2:07 am

The owners will not sell it, there have been many offers however none of them are accepted. Noisy will crumble… Real shame.

#24dOctober 23, 2012, 6:31 pm

it is sold already and no strangers are allowed in anymore.. tried to visit chateau last weekend unsuccessfuly..

#25PeterNovember 2, 2012, 11:56 am

Eeeh, so this means that the castle is closed? There is no way to get in?
We want to visit the castle within a month. If someone has any information about the castle, please let us know! It would be stupid to make such a journey fot noting. By the way, Doel, near Antwerp, is a great place to go to.
Make sure you dont get caught inside one of the houses. It will cost you a lot when you get caught by the police. Visit the church as well!!

Thanks, Peter

#26sophos9November 2, 2012, 11:58 am

Peter, there is no problem with this place other than being careful to avoid the land owner

#27BeberNovember 12, 2012, 2:51 pm

Je suis un ancien pensionnaire par deux fois j’ai séjourné à l’âge de 12 ans j’y ai fêté la noël c’était féerique pour moi qui vivais dans une simple et petite maisonnette du chemin de fer. Comme j’étais un des plus grand on donnais le bain aux plus jeunes,on beurrai des énormes tas de tartines ,les photos du film m’ont refait vivre tout ces beaux moments.merci aux aventuriers cinéastes.il me serais agréable de retrouver contact avec d’autre fils de Chemineaux……Albert de Profondsart

#28Ms sophos9November 13, 2012, 10:18 am

Salut Albert, quelle expérience incroyable d’avoir! C’est un endroit magnifique, j’ai eu la chance de visiter l’année dernière. Merci de partager vos souvenirs :-)

#29obsessedwithdenoisyNovember 14, 2012, 4:52 am

I just wanted to say that I went to Belgium in the summer of 2012 and stumbled across the castle on the internet. I immediately felt an overwelming sense of urgency to go to this place and I knew that if I did not it would haunt me forever. I cannot describe the way that this place made me feel. Chateau De Noisy drew me to it and I can honestly say that it was the best experience and the most haunting experience of my life. While we were there we could hear children running and laughing through the woods, when clearly, there was nobody around. I have since had many dreams about the castle and I often wonder if it is because I have a piece of the ceiling plaster with me in my home. People don’t really believe me when I say that I have been forever changed by this place, but I still feel a weird connection with it. If it weren’t for the scary french policeman that escorted us off of the premises (harshly) then I may have never left. By the way, he told us that the “royal family” is who owns it and employs him to guard it.

#30SandmanApril 8, 2013, 9:14 am

Got there in late june 2012 and we were “guests” in the hotel for two whole days. We were well equipped, we did not light any kind of fire, not even a cigarette, we di not leave any kind of trash, not even a tiny piece of paper, and we had a tiny map of the castle.
There are so many places to hide. We were very gentle with the place and the surroundings. I confirm the castle is patrolled at least twice a day. What a “mistery days” were down there, these days are in my mind. This place is AMAZING. Totally. It’s better to enter in the castle during the night and have a lot care, the place deserve respect.

#31dmsJune 9, 2013, 5:38 pm

Photos of this gorgeous place are so intriguing! Thank you to those who have posted pics and bits of information above. I’m curious about Veves, now, and can take a peek into another interesting piece of architecture…Recently I learned that some of my (distant) relatives are from Belgium, so this story piqued my interest…

Someone mentioned the plans are in French, and they are not too difficult to interpret. On the Rez de Chaussez, (meaning, first floor) basically there is the grand entry hall, classrooms, the dining hall, and the Director’s office…There are other support spaces. On le premiere etage – the first floor, which, here in the states we would call the second floor, appears to be mostly dormitory space. Would love to visit, and to help in a restoration process for the experience! Unfortunately, an ocean (and more) away…

#32dmsJune 9, 2013, 5:41 pm

p.s. I do find the chateau enchanting, however, is it okay to say — the frontal tower is definitely of English proportions, and that particular element does not seem characteristic of the region… I could be wrong!

#33jazAugust 17, 2013, 7:48 am

I would like to find out about Mission Abandoned.

Could someone please contact me?

Thanks!

Jaz

#34sophos9August 17, 2013, 11:23 am

Hey, check out the TalkUrbex forum…

#35SpringerAugust 27, 2013, 11:16 pm

Thank you to all who have posted pics and info about this great place.I would love to visit it and others.Good luck to you all and please STAY SAFE.

#36IoannaSeptember 8, 2013, 8:08 pm

I was there today. Amazing place even if in derelict state.

#37ConnieSeptember 24, 2013, 7:25 am

Apparently I’m not the only one intrigued with Chateau Miranda. The place has a mystical quality about it. It absolutely draws you in. One can only imagine the splendor it once had. I am haunted with images of its beauty.

#38mijOctober 22, 2013, 8:13 am

After living in Belgium for 46 years, I have just been told about Ch. Miranda by my Australian grand-daughter. She is studying History as part of her course at The University of New England, N.S.W. Having looked up the web-sites & seen photos of what there is still left of the chateau, I am appalled that no-one has seen fit to take some sort of action to save & restore these beautiful buildings. Even if it is the “Royal Family ” that owns the chateau why can’t the commune of Celles be allowed to buy it(apparently it has offered) & stop any more rot setting in? I thought that a society had now been set up in Belgium, similar to the National Trust in the UK, for doing this. If I’m right, I would like to know about it & try to help spread the news!

#39EcorobDecember 29, 2013, 8:05 pm

Hello everyone!

I am wondering if anyone would be willing to help me document this building before it becomes so ruined beyond repair. I am an architectural instructor/researcher interested in historic places. I know that Chateau Miranda is bound to collapse in the coming years without anyone stepping in to restore her. So with this being said, I would love to document the entire building from the first floor to the beautiful facades and create a 3D model to act as a preservation initiative.

What I need are willing participants to take hundreds if not thousands of pictures of this wonderful masterpiece. This means pictures of every corner, angle, perspective, interior and exterior. Can anyone help?

This is a massive undertaking but it can be done. I have 10+ years of architectural education and service experience. I now teach and conduct research for historic preservation and innovative architectural design strategies and design systems. Hope someone out there can help.

Thanks!

#40JurgenJanuary 1, 2014, 6:12 pm

I had the pleasure of staying in the castle as a child in the early 1980′s. The castle really left a great impressions, an i hate seeing it all go to waste. I feel a same that nobody feels the urge to save this peace of history!

#41WoodkneeJanuary 2, 2014, 11:31 am

hi all, i’ll be going over to this place within the coming two months.

can anyone help me get detailed blueprints, access points,… ?

email is jonas.vds@gmail.com

thanks!

#42OhMyJanuary 6, 2014, 11:32 am

You’d better be fast, the castle is gonna be pulled down.

#43PieterJanuary 6, 2014, 11:49 pm

They are planning to demolish it … Please sign the petition to help save this beautiful piece of Belgian heritage! Thanks!

#44SueJanuary 27, 2014, 7:21 pm

Can someone e mail me how to get to the chateau please?

#45MarianneFebruary 11, 2014, 4:54 pm

I will go there one day. Wish someone could tell me witch city this is in. I’m from Norway and love all old history :)

#46cchFebruary 13, 2014, 10:32 am

This place looks amazing, i would really love to make a visit sometime soon, does anybody know how to get to this place and if it is possible to visit? I would appreciate if you would email me to carloscendejas@gmail.com

Thank you!

#47WoodkneeFebruary 27, 2014, 12:26 pm

been here last weekend. for details on how to enter and what to see here, contact me at jonas.vds@gmail.com.

Ab.so.fuckin’.lutely stunning.

#48WoodkneeMarch 4, 2014, 11:57 am

i have full details on how to access the site, including street view pictures.
to be shared only at discretion and with respect.